Patted dry seasoned with Kosher salt and Cajun seasoning then wrapped in 8lbs of bacon then drizzled with a mixture of olive oil, chipotle peppers in adobo, and a tin of fresh garlic. Basted it with that every hour. Took 5 1/2 hours and the meat melted in your mouth. As you can see from the pics we also smoked a chicken in its mouth.
As my Grand Ma would say while she was thumping you on the head to ask so many questions when you wanted to know how she cooked food you loved. Now, she was all of 90 lbs., but you would think the thump came from a 240 lbs. man. Then she would say KISS is how we do it. I am 70 years old, so when you are told KISS at 10 years old, you have no idea what she was talking about. Then she explains we are going to (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID). So, I will try not to have flashbacks and give you this recipe. You can always adjust it to fit your needs.
If you need to thaw your gator quickly, we are going to do it in water. Please take off the bag; it still will be wrapped in the FDA wrapping, then as it starts to thaw out, pull it off. You can place it in the container you received it in or a cooler; we want to put tap water. The water will turn ice cold; it is just like you put a huge block of ice in it. Wait about 1 hour and pour it out and replace it with fresh water. It will want to float, so weigh it down; I use a pot of water to sit on top of it.
If you decide to do a cold bath, make sure you tell your better half where you put the gator. You DON'T WANT her to open the curtains to have this. It will take a couple of days for her to get over it.
1) We brimmed the alligator for 36 hours in:
This is going to be a hard recipe for me to write. I know most of you cooks like a precise recipe to go by when cooking something new. The only problem with this is you have different size alligators that you will be working with. I want you to notice the picture of the ingredients I have prepared for the stuffing and placed in quart bags. This allows you to use your cooking eye and put in what you need if it is a larger Alligator. I usually cut up a little more then I need and can save the rest to put on an Alligator Taco Salad or Tacos for the next day or if we have any left-over meat. So, this recipe is for a 10 lb. alligator and you will have to adjust for a larger one.
I start out by putting my eggs in a bowl and whisking them, I then put ½ the stock in and leave the rest of the stock for later. Place in all the other items and whisk while you are doing so, by leaving the stock to last this gives me a chance on having the thickness of the dressing I want to obtain. Now I like a wet mixture of corn bread stuffing since it is going to be cooking so long and I do not want it to dry out.
Recipe: Corn Bread Stuffing
1) 2 to 4 eggs, slightly beaten
2) 4 to 6 cups of chicken or shrimp broth, (2 cups to begin with)
3)1 cup of red bell pepper (not small I like to see what I am eating)
4)1 cup yellow bell pepper (not small I like to see what I am eating)
5) 1 cup of chopped celery (not small I like to see what I am eating)
6) 1 cup of chopped onions (not small I like to see what I am eating)
7) 1 cup of mushrooms (not small I like to see what I am eating)
8) 1 cup of green onion chopped (not small I like to see what I am eating)
9) Add package of Crawfish Tail Meat (I can ship with your order and sausage if you wish)
10) 4 bay leaves crumbled up
11) 4 tbsp. of parsley
12) 1 to 2 tbsp of Tony Chachere's again to taste do not make it to spicy for you guest.
13) 1 tbsp of Lea & Perrins better known as Worcestershire Sause
14) 1/4 cup granulated garlic less or more depending your taste
15) salt and pepper to taste
16) If you have never sewed up an alligator you will see the tools in the picture (find at any grocery store) you will need. Just run the loop through and back and loop make your stiches about ½ inches apart.
I like Jiffy Mix. You may have to use 2 to 3 boxes. Pour it in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix. REMEMBER THE CORN BREAD WILL COOK DURING THE GRILLING. Now add the rest of the stock, we want to have a wet stock so did not be shy it may take more the 2 cups.
(PLEASE PUSH THE ARROWS BELOW TO SCROLL THROUGH EACH STEP)